Good Food, Good Comany, and Great Football

This past week was full of friendship, reunions, and times with sisters-both old and new. I started off the week by heading to the beautiful town of Madison for my sorority sister Katie's bridal shower. It's hard to believe that another one of my sisters will be hitched in a few short months!


Wednesday, I headed to Carrigan's Pub after work to meet up with my friends Lauren, Jenny, and Joy for dinner and after work drinks. I had been to the pub before, but only for a drink. So, getting to eat their upscale pub food was quite the treat and something that I had been looking forward to for a while. Even though everything on the menu looked tempting, I opted for the street style corn dog (with "hipster ranch", guajillo ketchup, cotija, & cilantro) and hand cut fries. It was delicious and perfect for a fun girls night out.


I had Thursday off. So, I started the morning at Starbucks with John while he finished his last day of preparation for step two of medical boards. The weather was beautiful and ideal for sipping a pumpkin spice latte outside in Mountain Brook Village. That afternoon, I met up with John and Henry again for lunch at Crestline Bagel in Crestline Village. In addition to having fresh baked bagels and breads for us, they also had fresh baked goods for Henry! So, to reward him for being such a good study partner to John, I bought him a homemade pupcake (which he devoured).


That evening I headed to BSC to help the wonderful ladies of Alpha Omicron Pi  with recruitment. I loved getting to see first hand how recruitment works at another college and enjoyed getting to see all of the girls' hard work pay off in the process. 

Friday night, John and I celebrated him finishing step two by heading to the Middle Eastern food festival at St. George Greek-Catholic Church. We ate so much delicious food including: stuffed grape leaves, kibbee, hummus, and loukoumades. While we ate, we were entertained by belly dancers of all ages. Since I have recently taken up belly dancing myself- I was loving it! It was such a fun evening and an awesome way to celebrate John finishing step two of his medical boards. 


After we had our fill of Middle Eastern food, we went across town to Hop City Beer and Wine. In addition to having a wide array of beer and wines for sale, they also boast a home brewing section and an extensive tap selection. So, you can try a lot of the beers before making a decision to purchase, just sip on a unique beer while browsing the aisles (like we did), or buy the needed materials to make your own beer at home. Since this weekend was the first weekend of fall, I chose the Terrapin Pumpkin Fest while John chose the Druid City Brewing Company's (yes, Druid City as in Tuscaloosa, AL) IPA. Both were superb. Afterwards we went to Carrigan's to top of the night with one of their ornate cocktails. Even though I don't like to frequent the same places within a short time span, Carrigan's was the exception last week and I definitely didn't regret it. 


Saturday, I continued my "frequenting the same places" routine by heading back to the Middle Eastern food festival, but this time we brought John's parents with us. Since I have always been exposed to Middle Eastern foods due to my families Egyptian heritage, I often forget just how "foreign" the food can be to most. So, it was entertaining to see John's parents faces when they looked at the menu. However, once all was said and done, I feel that they really enjoyed themselves.

After we stuffed ourselves (yet again) with Middle Eastern home cooking, we were on our way to Tuscaloosa to watch the Tide play. John's parents were sweet enough to let us use their tickets to the game. So, we got to see our boys bring in another win with the beautiful crimson sky in the backdrop. Alabama football is always big in our house, but being at the first home game of the year was super special because six seasons ago- the first football game of the season was mine and John's first date. I didn't know all those years ago when John asked me to be his game date that I would be his forever game date, but I can't think of anyone else that I would want to cheer on the Tide with!



Busy, busy, busy week to say the least! It looks like this week will be just as full-but I am happy, blessed, and loved. So, what more could I ask? 





0 comments:

Post a Comment