It's Official- We Are D.C. Bound!

So, the Lyles are officially D.C. bound and it's happening sooner than expected. The week before last, John and I made a trip to D.C. for me to go on a job interview marathon and to look for housing. Fortunately, we found both in a matter of 24 hours. I am happy to say that I got my dream job working as an outpatient occupational therapist at HSC Pediatric Center and we found our dream row house in Dupont Circle!

We chose to drive the 12 hour trip to D.C., stopping in Charlottesville, VA along the way. In order to help make the time pass, I gave John and license plate search. We were shocked at just how quickly we were able to check states off. That evening, after a long day on the road, we turned into Charlottesville for the evening. We fell in love with the city during our interview trail adventures and were super happy to visit again. It's quite the foodie city which is part of the reason it won over our hearts. We found a lot of top notch places during our visit last fall (blog post to come), and found another restaurant to add to our favorites list this time- Continental Divide. The quaint Mexican restaurant is tucked away on Main Street and serves up original and tasty dishes like quesadillas filled with Havarti and mango.


When we finally got to D.C. the next day, we hit the ground running looking at apartments and condos all over the city. So, when the end of the day rolled around, we were exhausted and hungry. Thankfully, we were able to stay with my sweet sorority sister Hannah Beth. So, she had already given me the scoop on one of her favorite restaurants in the city, Founding Farmers. While the restaurant is located smack in the middle of the city, they still believe in a farm to table concept and work with local farmers to make that happen. If you plan to visit, be sure and make reservations because the good food has caused quite a ruckus and made for long waits. They offer online reservations, which is what I did and it was super easy!


Homemade Bread and dips? I think I will.
The next day consisted of the two of us running all over the city for me to interview. However, I was so thankful that my dream job and first interview of the day offered me a job on the spot. I had previously had a phone interview with them and had felt really good about the facility and the people who worked in it. So, I was so happy that I felt the same way in real life. It's going to be an amazing experience and I can't wait to start!

That evening, we celebrated by eating authentic Ethiopian in the Adams Morgan neighborhood. One of the reasons that we are so thrilled about moving to D.C. is due to its cultural diversity. So, when I saw a Groupon deal for Meskerem Ethipoian a few weeks before our trip, I couldn't say no. It was our first time eating that type of cuisine, and we were definitely not disappointed. It was very similar to Indian food with it's rich and flavorful sauces. However, the way that the food was served was very different. There was no silverware to be found and we were instructed to use the spongy flat bread to scoop up the food with. It was served on a huge platter that rested a top a basket table. Since we were the first to arrive for dinner, we were seated on a raised platform by the window. So, we could people watch and take in the sights as people rushed home from work. It was so delicious and I can't wait to go back!







After our wonderful meal, we jumped on the metro and met up with our friends Laura and Clint at Pitango Gelato. I had heard about the place on a blog that I read and knew that I had to try it ASAP. Plus, gelato is a perfect celebratory treat for a new job, right? I thought so. The flavors they offer are so rich and decadent and unlike anything I had ever had. John and I split a cup and filled it with three different flavors, créme fraîche, cardamon and gianduja (chocolate hazelnut). Yummy!


The next day the housing hunt continued. Even though we found a lot of beautiful places, when late afternoon came around we still weren't sold on any particular place. So, when we received a text message from John's brother with a lead on a row house in Dupont Circle- we thought, sure why not? Plus, the Easter parade that unexpectedly took place as we were crossing the street to get to the property, only made me more sure that something good would come of this. The area has always been a favorite of mine, but I never dreamed that I could live there. I was floored and taken aback when we walked up to the house on it's tree lined sidewalk street with gas lanterns adorning each lawn. It was picture perfect and we fell in love instantly. The wood burning fire place, hard wood floors, and beautiful rooftop space only made us fall deeper. 



 

 That night, we met up with our friend Hannah Beth for a celebration dinner at Capitol City Brewing Company. It was such a great feeling to have gotten so much accomplished in such a short amount of time and to be able to celebrate with friends!



The next day, we hit the road again and made another little pit stop along the way in Nashville! As soon as I heard Nickel Creek was back together and on tour, I snatched up tickets. At first the only venue listed was the Ryman in Nashville, however other dates were released a bit later. I didn't take chances though. So, when the first dates went up for Nashville, I grabbed them in a flash and was so happy that I did because it was AWESOME! John and I both absolutely love the talented band plus we have both always wanted to go to the Ryman Auditorium. So, we were ecstatic



The next day was Easter Sunday and we were so happy to be back home, especially since we spent the entire morning on the road. We made a little stop in Oneonta on the way and ate lunch with my mom. We also picked up some moving boxes from her since the moving process began as soon as our feet hit the ground at home. That evening we also visited with my dad and had celebratory cheesecake (Notice a trend?My family and I celebrate with sweets...it's a thing). 


We've also celebrated by....

Watching our last Barons game with our dear friends, the Hodges. They even snagged us free comp tickets because their friend (who played for the opposing team) put us on the list. How sweet is that? Plus, it was 50 cent hot dog night! Score!


Having one more dinner date with our friends Lauren and Lee. They even cooked us up fresh mahi-mahi caught on their recent trip to the Bahamas. It was so so so good!  

Going to our first and last Pepper Place Saturday Market of the season. 


Our church even gave us an official farewell and blessing. We even had cake and a card. & yes, that says "Good Luckily". The cake was tasty and truly one of a kind! 

We have also spent quality time with family and friends here and there and enjoyed laughter and conversation about all that has been and all that will be. It's so hard to comprehend that we are officially leaving at the end of this week and starting a new chapter in a new city with new people, new jobs, and a new home. It's going to be fun though and we are so grateful for all of the blessings that we have received. Here's to an adventure!

0 comments:

Post a Comment