An Eventful New Year

A lot has happened since my last post. There have been upsets, celebrations, births and weddings all within the past few days. On Thursday, John and I received the best news- we have a new nephew! As soon as we heard that sweet baby William had been born, we jumped in the car and headed to the hospital. We were so excited to meet him and see his proud parents. I have to say, it was love at first sight. He is so precious and I am obsessed with his full head of pretty dark hair.


After we oohed and ahhed over William, John and I went to our friend Lauren's to watch the Sugar Bowl. Even though the Tide didn't bring home a victory, it was fun to watch the game with friends (including Lauren's fiancé Lee, who is an OU grad). Lauren made the best potato soup (using this recipe) and hot of the stove grilled cheese. It was delish!


Earlier in the week, I found out that this summer I will have the honor of co-directing Senior High 1 at Camp Sumatanga. After attending the camp since elementary school and working at it for a number of years, I am so thrilled to be returning home to Sumatanga. Luckily my co-director, Andrew, is just as excited as I am and was willing to meet with me on Friday evening to start planning our week. We chose to meet at Octane in Homewood which provided the perfect environment to talk and enjoy a drink or two. 



Saturday John and I attended my friend Lauren C.'s wedding.  It was beyond beautiful and we had such a great time dancing the night away and seeing old friends (we even ran into my AOII house mother-Aunt Fran!!).



Today the chilly winter air started to roll in. So, after church I decided it would be a wonderful night to make a quick and easy soup. Y'all, it was SO easy and was ready in seconds. I thought it was pretty tasty and very filling. John went back for seconds. So, I'm guessing that means it's a keeper!

White Bean, Sausage & Spinach Soup

1 can Cannelini beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 package (14 oz) Kielbasa, cut into 1/2" slices 
1 cup water
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tomato, chopped
1 cup chopped spinach, cooked and drained (I used frozen)
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp olive oil

Heat olive oil in a medium skillet. Add sliced Kielbasa and cook for 12 minutes or until fully cooked- then drain and set aside. In a medium pot, heat chicken broth and water for 3-5 minutes on medium-high heat. Add garlic powder, oregano, chopped spinach, and tomato. Continue to cook, stirring ingredients together, for 2-3 minutes. Add kielbasa. Decrease heat to low. Serve immediately. 

It's been a busy week to start off this new year and one full of excitement and celebration. Now it's back to studying so hopefully I will have another reason to celebrate come January 31st (when I receive my board results).



0 comments:

Post a Comment