Back on the Radar

So, I promise that I didn't fall off the face of the Earth these past few weeks. Although judging by my social media feeds, it looks like it. John and I have been traveling over the entire United States for his pediatric residency interviews. At the beginning of our journey, John requested that I not advertise where we are going or where we had been to until after match day. So, I am still honoring his requests- however, I can tell you that we have had the time of our lives and seen places from sea to shining sea (literally). So, get ready for some fun blog posts come March when I can disclose all of our adventures.

In between trips, we did come home for two days to spend Thanksgiving with our families. For the second year in a row, we hosted. It was more special this year though since we both live under the same roof and are married! My mom (and her dog, Toto) drove down from Oneonta and brought a delicious pot roast (her famous recipe) and a Nutella pie. I made crockpot mashed potatoes and "skinny" country beans. It was a pretty easy meal and tasted heavenly. After lunch, my mom stuck around to help us decorate for Christmas. Luckily since we have such a tiny abode, it was done in no time! That paired with me finishing our Christmas card mailing list, made it feel so cozy and festive in our home.


Creamy Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes 

5 lbs Yukon gold or Russet potatoes (peeled and diced)
1 stick butter (cubed)
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 & 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 tsp seasoned salt (I used Lawry's)
1 tsp black pepper
8 oz cream cheese (cut into cubes)
1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup heavy cream

Dump potatoes, butter, garlic, & chicken broth into crock pot. Cook on high for 4 & 1/2 hours. Mash while in crock pot. Add pepper, sour cream, seasoned salt, heavy cream & cream cheese. Mix well. 


Notice Henry's new stocking. It's by far my favorite holiday find thus far.

That evening we headed to Montgomery to spend Thanksgiving night with the Lyles family. There we had leftovers of the more traditional Thanksgiving spread. Needless to say, we ate well that day. The very next day we were back on the road and didn't return home until this past Tuesday.

We have been super busy and it looks like it will continue to be 90 to nothing around here. I have started studying for my boards in full gear, I'm graduating this Saturday and we celebrate our one year anniversary this Sunday. Throw in a few holiday parties and get togethers in between and we are booked. I'm loving every second of it though and know that we are blessed beyond belief with such wonderful opportunities, friends, and family.





0 comments:

Post a Comment